Winterization Tips and Tricks
Date Posted: Monday, December 12th, 2016
From the Desk of the Public Works Supervisor
Plumbing Winterization Tips and Tricks
Don’t let frozen water pipes leave you out in the cold this winter. Cold weather means frozen water and that could mean busted pipes and other major plumbing headaches and expenses. If a pipe bursts in your home, it could spill several hundred gallons of water per hour. The damage could also be costly. Here are a few tips to get your home ready for the winter season:
Inside Your Home:
- Keep the garage door closed if a bathroom or laundry room is located above or nearby to maintain maximum heat.
- If some pipes are located in an unheated garage trying wrapping them. Local hardware or building supply stores offer appropriate pipe wrapping materials.
- When bathroom and kitchen pipes run along an exterior wall, trying allowing additional heat to circulate near the pipes. This means keeping vanity and cabinet doors open and possibly purchasing a small space heater.
- On nights when the temperature is expected to drop below freezing, turn on the faucets along the exterior wall to create a small, steady drip. This eliminates the pressure that can build between the faucet and ice blockage, so if they freeze, they may not burst.
- Important! Know the location of your shutoff valve inside your home and also call Town Hall at the first sight of a water leak. The Public Works Department will turn the main water supply off at the curb or shutoff valve.
Outside Your Home:
- Take a few minutes to shut off and drain your irrigation system.
- Disconnect and drain outside hoses and faucets. An overnight freeze can burst the pipe or faucet.
- Seal and close crawl space vents. Also note any cracks or holes along the outside walls and foundation of your home. Filing holes and cracks can help stop the cold air from coming into contact with your water pipes.
- If leaving your home for several weeks or months, it is suggested to shut off the water at the main shutoff valve. You can contact Town Hall for fees and scheduling.
- Call a Plumber to have the plumbing drained and winterized.
As always, if you should have any questions, please contact Town Hall.
Related Topics: burst pipes, extreme cold, freezing, frozen pipes, Milton, plumbing issues, tips and tricks, Winterization