2020 Town of Milton, Solicitation of Candidates NoticeDate Posted: Tuesday, December 17th, 2019
TOWN OF MILTON
2020 MUNICIPAL ELECTION
SOLICITATION OF CANDIDATES
THE TOWN OF MILTON IS SOLICITING CANDIDATES FOR THE MARCH 7, 2020 MUNICIPAL ELECTION. THE OFFICES UP FOR ELECTION ARE AS FOLLOWS:
TWO (2) SEATS FOR COUNCILPERSON.
EACH SEAT IS FOR A THREE YEAR TERM.
CANDIDATE ELIGIBILITY AND DECLARATION OF CANDIDACY
Residents who have met the following are eligible to run for office:
- A citizen of the United States of America, and a primary legal resident of the Town of Milton for the period of at least one year preceding the 2020 Annual Municipal Election;
- At least twenty-one (21) years of age on or before the date of the election;
- Non-delinquent in taxes, utilities, or any debt to the Town;
- Has not been convicted of a felony;
- Had not been adjudged mentally incompetent;
- Each of the qualifications for Mayor and for Town Council shall be continuing qualifications to hold office, and the failure of the Mayor or any of the Town Council members to have any of the qualifications required by this Section during their term of office shall create a vacancy in the office; and
- If any Town Council member or the Mayor is found guilty of any felony, such Town Council member or the Mayor shall forthwith be disqualified to act as such officer and they shall, vacate the elected office.
Each person meeting the criteria listed above and who wishes to run for office shall notify the Town Manager in writing of their candidacy for the office of Town Council. At that time the candidate shall fill out and file with the Town Manager, the Ethics Form in Appendix B of the Town Charter. Candidate must also file an electronic Certificate of Intention or create a candidate committee by completing a Statement of Organization form no later than seven (7) days after declaring their candidacy with the Commissioner of Elections.
All such notifications of candidacy, consent to the required background check and the completed Ethics Form along with a copy of the filed Certificate of Intention or Statement of Organization must be filed with the Town Manager prior to the filing deadline. Deadline to file is Tuesday, January 7, 2020 at 5:00 P.M.
Affidavits and Absentee Ballots
A registered voter that is unable to come to the election polls on the day of the election must complete an affidavit prior to receiving an absentee ballot. The completed affidavit must be received in Town Hall by noon on Friday, March 6, 2020.
Once available, absentee ballots can be mailed to registered voters, who have completed an affidavit, through February 28, 2020. If the registered voter needs the ballot after February 28, 2020, they must come to Town Hall and pick up the ballot. All absentee ballots must be received by the Board of Elections by the close of the election polls at 6:00 p.m. on Saturday, March 7, 2020.
Posted December 17, 2019