The Sustainability Committee:
- The Milton Economic Development Committee established a subcommittee on Sustainability in the spring of 2015. Members of the committee believe that it is an important topic for the future of Milton; that sustainability issues impact the economy of the town, its citizens, and local businesses; and that it will make Milton a more attractive community to visitors and potential residents.
- The Subcommittee’s purpose was the conservation of our resources and the establishment of Milton as a destination for Sustainability as an example of what can be done by individuals and town government.
- On May 1, 2017, Milton’s Mayor and Town Council established a Sustainability Committee, independent from the Economic Development Committee.
- On August 31, 2020, Milton’s Mayor and Town Council adopted the Sustainability Plan as a guide for the Town: Resolution 2020-013 Sustainability Plan, Sustainability Plan
What is Sustainability?
- Sustainability is satisfying current needs without sacrificing future well-being through the balanced pursuit of ecological health and economic welfare.
- For the Sustainability Committee’s Power Point Presentation on what Milton can do click here: Sustainability.
- Members will be appointed at a later date
- Reducing the use of plastic bags:
- Stopping Offshore Drilling
- Reducing the use of bottled water:
- Promote the use of rain barrels
- Pursue zoning and planning document changes to reduce impermeable surfaces
- Promote the development of a water taxi service from Milton to Lewes
- Track and reduce the per capita use of water
- Pursue the use of a continuous chlorination process rather than the current batch process
- Promote the development of rain gardens
- Conduct a water footprint evaluation
- Pursue programs to increase the planting of trees in and around town
- Pursue programs to increase the planting of native plants
- Promote the use of home energy audits
- Promote the use of energy audits for Town buildings
- Promote the installation of Solar panels
- Promote the use of LED lights in Town lighting